Hosting Families November 8-15
The church is hosting Family Promise during the week of November 8-15.
Scheduling volunteers begins soon. Many volunteers are needed to prepare meals, serve as evening and overnight hosts, drive, coordinate activities, purchase and organize supplies, and assist in many other ways. Although most hosts are adults, youth can participate as well by arranging activities for young children and socializing with older kids. Volunteering together as a family is a great way to teach your own children generosity of spirit.
To volunteer or to learn more, contact our Family Promise Coordinator, Jean Miewald.
Phone: 412-221-2114; Email: MiewaldJM@upmc.edu
Additional FP Contacts:
Dinner Host—Darenda Lease, 412-854-4481 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Overnight—Betsy Hohlfelder, 412-341-1029 or email@example.com
Van Driver—Maggie DeLair 724-344-7776 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Consists of preparing a meal for 14 people or less (plus the hosts!). An estimated number of guests and information is usually confirmed / communicated the week before Meals should be simple; a meat, veggie, starch, dessert. Tacos, pizza, meatloaf, chili, hamburgers and hotdogs have been a few of the favorites.
- Paper products are set up and ready for you to use or you can use the church dinnerware.
- Dinner hosts arrive around 5:30 p.m. to set up dinner and drinks for buffet type serving, and then spend time socializing and dining with the guests followed by clean-up of the kitchen and dining area.
- Dinner hosts depart once the Overnight Hosts arrive at 8:15 p.m.
- Reimbursement for the dinner is available; receipts can be submitted to the Mission Committee.
- Overnight Hosts arrive at 8:15 p.m.
- Takes approximately an hour of your time and provides you with an opportunity to meet and talk with new people.
- Involves driving the 14 passenger van from BHCC to the Crafton house in the afternoon, picking up our guests, and driving them back to BHCC (and vice versa in the morning).
- Afternoon van drivers will need to leave the church at 4:30 p.m. Morning van drivers will need to leave the church at 6:00 a.m. on weekdays and 7:00 a.m. on the weekend.
- Concerns about level of experience driving the van? Please let us know, and you can do a test drive in the church parking lot!!
NOTE: Please return any laundry that you may have washed from a previous hosting week.